We are looking for a Senior Cloud Engineer, someone passionate about Infrastructure as Code and automation, to use the latest open-source tools and continuously release quality infrastructure code in production. You will work closely with other Software Engineers, Cloud Engineers and Application Management Teams across multiple platforms and technologies to deliver the best cloud infrastructure, scalable, reliable, reproducible.
- Use automation to improve the delivery and operation of our systems.
- Use Infrastructure as Code to manage our public cloud services, configuration and provisioning tools.
- Work with other engineers to design and make use of CD pipelines.
- Use test automation for infrastructure changes.
- Ensure the scalability, reliability, security and efficiency of the environments that host Sainsbury’s applications.
- Operate large scale distributed systems.
- Integrate cloud native 3rd party software with existing platforms.
- Collaborate with other engineers and teams to accelerate software delivery.
- Work collaboratively as part of a Scrum team within an agile environment.
- Help teams improve the operability of their software.
- Identify and help prioritise tackling of technical debt.
- Become an expert in an area of interest, that is relevant to the technology and approaches we use.
- Learn new tech, continuously share the knowledge with the other engineers.
- Participate in a 24/7 support on call rota as required.
- Help shape our engineering culture.
- Show that you have an excellent understanding for a number of technical skills, attitudes and behaviours, instilling to others
- Proactively seek opportunities to both improve and share your knowledge and abilities
- Actively contribute within an agile team
Advanced understanding and experience of:
- Linux and / or Windows systems administration and architecture
- Configuration management and provisioning tools, such as Ansible and Terraform
- Git, branching strategies, artefact repositories
- CI / CD tooling, e.g., Circle CI, Jenkins, Concourse
- AWS - VPC, EC2, S3, IAM, Route53, ECS, CloudFormation, Directory Services, Lambda
- Active Directory / DNS
- SaaS, PaaS, IaaS to provision and configure public cloud resources, services, apps
- Network protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP, SMTP, LDAP, DNS, etc), routing, load balancers, VPN, Firewalls and public cloud provider network services
- Large scale infrastructure, APM monitoring, logging platforms (e.g. DataDog, ELK, Sensu, NewRelic, AppDynamics)
- Testing frameworks and techniques for infrastructure
- Relational and non-relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Redis, HBase, Memcached, pubic cloud provider equivalents)
- Demonstrable experience in shell scripting, and one or more programming languages.
- Knowledge of object oriented or functional programming.
- Operational experience with large, highly available, highly transactional systems in a public cloud.
- How to troubleshoot complex issues.
- Make use of the tools to keep the cloud infrastructure safe, secure, and highly available.
- Containerisation experience (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, PaaS).
- Exposure to messaging tools.
- Knowledge of service and microservice architectures.
- Experience of working with immutable infrastructure.
Communication and Influencing:
- Able to present opinions to peers
- Proactive communication
- Gathers data from range of stakeholders, distils quickly
Aptitude to Learn:
- Mentors/coaches less experienced
- Builds strong internal/external relationships
- Builds bridges where none existed
- Understands what motivates a team
Commitment and Planning:
- Takes ownership and accountability
- Keeps appropriate people well informed of plans, progress, etc.
- Line manager providing on-going support through 121s and objectives, as well as a personal development plan
- Wider development team providing support and guidance to help you grow as a Cloud Engineer
- Contribute to how the team works and decisions that are made
- Own and implement tasks undertaken through to delivery