If you’re into fashion, interiors, homeware or gaming – or you just love arranging things to look great – this is the role for you. As one of our General Merchandise Assistants, you’ll help to position and sell our fantastic Tu and Habitat brands, and make sure our homeware and entertainment products are laid out to catch customers’ eyes.
The great news is you don’t need to bring any previous experience. You’ll need an eye for detail and a gift for making it easy for our customers, finding whatever’s on their shopping list, as well as being tuned in to suggest other products they’ll love. We’ll train you on the job and in no time at all, you’ll build an understanding of our amazing product range.
In practice, it’ll be your job to put our great products on display and really wow our shoppers. You’ll move them around and into the best position, as trends or seasons change. You could be bringing the shorts out when the sun is shining, or the winter coats when it rains. From dressing mannequins, to stocking up on the latest book or game releases – even advising customers of new releases and what’s in right now – you’ll really know what’s what.
We’ve thought of everything to help you do the best job you can – including planning which products go where in store. So, you’ll always know exactly how to make the most of our stock and displays. Simply, we want to do the right things for our customers and let them know Sainsbury's is the place for lifestyle products. And you’ll be the person who helps us do just that. What’s more, you’ll bring the flexibility we need to ensure a seamless customer experience, by working where you’re needed most.
Alongside a market leading rate of pay, we also offer a great range of benefits for all our colleagues:
- Discount card – provided after 12 weeks that gives you 10% on most items in Sainsbury’s, Argos and Habitat. Discount is increased at Sainsbury’s to 15% every pay day for five days plus 15% at Argos on selected weekends during the year.
- Generous holiday entitlement - based on the hours you work.
- Family leave – generous maternity and paternity leave.
- Pension – Sainsbury’s will match between 4-7% of your pension contributions.
- Sainsbury’s share schemes – allowing you to save directly from your pay to buy Sainsbury’s shares at discounted prices and the option to buy shares each time you are paid to build up an investment.
- Wellbeing support – including free access to Unmind (a mental wellbeing app) and our Employee Assistance Programme which is a confidential service providing emotional support, practical information and guidance on a wide range of topics, such as legal information, financial information and short-term counselling.
- Colleague networks – a range of internal networks that create an environment where every single colleague can be themselves and fulfil their potential.
- Cycle to work scheme – hire a bike and accessories, saving on tax and national insurance.
- Shopping discounts – special offers on gym memberships, restaurants, holidays, retail vouchers and more.