We are looking for team players who always ask why, refine their understanding of what, are not afraid to suggest how, and don’t lose track of when.
Predicting customer behaviour, scheduling all our Groceries Online deliveries and optimising store space for over 10 million stocking points. These are a small selection of the breadth and complexity of the data products we deliver in the Applied Data Science and Machine Learning team. We now want to increase the capacity and impact of our talented team with a lead engineer who can build the team to deliver our algorithm and data science productionisation efforts.
This role will be perfect if you have a background leading teams and now crave the challenge of building a team. You will bring together the people, process and cloud native technology to create our algorithm data products that have a multi-million pound impact for our colleagues and customers. Expect to spend 60% of your time coaching the team, getting your hands dirty with large and varied datasets and the rest of your time shaping and delivering strategic goals on our leadership team.
We are an Agile team that has embraced Xtreme programming, pairing of scientists and engineers, continuous integration and test driven development. You can avail of flexible working, an on-site gym, lunch at the food carts on Leather Lane, code in our flexible Agile space. We’ve even been known to commit code from stores and depots!
- Build a team of engineers who can work in cross functional Agile teams to deliver algorithm data products at scale.
- Continue to stay relevant by delivering high quality beautiful code in Agile product teams
- Bridge the gap between science and engineering by educating scientists on best practice development and by adapting software engineering architectures, tools and processes to accommodate typical data science outputs.
- Own and shape our productionisation strategy and design patterns with buy-in from the entire team and other stakeholders.
- Be the face of the team with key internal stakeholders (engineering, architecture, infrastructure, networks, security)
The following are essential:
- Continuous integration/deployment/delivery
- Agile processes and workflows
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- DevOps on AWS infrastructure
- Metric Driven Development (MDD)
- Working in a development role in grocery/retail
- Experience with Serverless architectures
- Experience developing ETL pipelines
- Big Data technologies
- Able to get buy-in from other engineers, data scientists, architects to support our ways of working and strategy
- Self-motivated and able to motivate others
- Able to take a strategy view of how we should build the team in the coming 1, 3 and 5 years.
- Passionate about software engineering, efficiency and shipping code
- Well versed on Agile methodologies
- All decisions related to your tools and ways of working within our team
- Flexible compute on AWS and mainstream open source stack
- Access to experts in architecture, product ownership, information management, data science, Sainsbury’s systems and retail
- Conferences, training and access to the broader Sainsbury’s engineering community
- Flexible workspaces (white boards, libraries, collaboration spaces) in an office in the heart of the City