Our Lead Nightshift Manager role is a brilliant step if you’re ready to stretch your leadership skills to fully lead and inspire a management team and department. You will have clear accountability, realistic expectations and structured support. It’s a win:win – we give you the time and space to coach your team and strengthen your leadership skills, and you help us to create even better in-store service for our customers and colleagues.
Your leadership experience could be in any customer focussed industry, not necessarily Food Retail. In fact, we’re keen to nurture the broadest mindsets in order to grow a management team that operates effectively across the store, so don’t worry if you don’t have the technical knowledge, we’re looking primarily for the desire to achieve success through your people and a love for connecting with customers.
What you’ll be doing
Our purpose is that driven by our passion for food, together we serve and help every customer.
You’ll be working in one of our busiest and most complex stores, reporting directly to the Store Manager and leading a team of managers. It’s fast-paced. Every day will bring unexpected challenges. You won’t always have the answers – that’s fine – but by solving short-term problems and making medium-term changes, you’ll support your team to keep delivering.
Our Nightshift teams are core to our stores always being ready for our first customers of the day. They restock shelves, take in warehouse deliveries and help with overnight online picking. As a leader, you’ll stay connected to the day time leadership team to understand the on-going plans and priorities and make sure everything is set up and ready for our colleagues and customers in the morning.
We recognise that working at night isn’t for everyone and an additional annual premium of up to £4,500 is applied to salaries for nightshift management roles, where eligible.
Specifically, your role is to set the direction of travel in your area for the next 1-3 months.
What success looks like
There’s a lot to learn. Every day you‘ll be strengthening your existing leadership skills and adding new ones, here’s how:
• You’ll be coaching, motivating and guiding your managers to work as a productive team, building their capabilities and leading them through change
• You’ve mastered helping your team put themselves in the customers’ shoes, taking genuine pride in how we deliver a better service and spot opportunites
• You’ll be leading through communication; clearly articulating how we’re performing and inspiring improvements for now, and the next quarter
• Be confident in your ability to continuously prioritise and energise your team through the night
• You will be developing yourself as the operational expert and acting as a role model for your team
• You’re confident making decisions at pace and feel empowered and accountable to run your area of the store – and to deputise for the Store Manager
You might currently be managing a smaller supermarket or convenience store or already in a team leadership role. Maybe you’re looking for a new challenge after a career break or transferring from another big store retail environment or another sector. Wherever you’re working now, you’ve demonstrated you can make a difference and love being part of a team.
What matters most is you – that you’re motivated to develop, dedicated to bringing out the best in others and, like all of us, passionate about customer service. After all, that’s what our stores are all about.
Join Sainsbury’s instore management teams and you’ll enjoy the support and the opportunity to deliver excellence. You’ll be coached by your manager to deliver great performance, whilst having plenty of scope to develop.
As one of our Lead Managers you could move into a Deputy Store Manager or Store Manager role with us. You’ll also be well placed for a leadership challenge in head office or across the Sainsbury’s family: Habitat, Tu, Argos, Sainsbury’s Bank and Nectar 360. Trust us – we know how to make the most of your potential.
Salary will be dependent upon your experience as well as the store size, complexity and location. Alongside this, we also offer a great range of benefits for all our colleagues, including:
• Up to £4,500 premium for working nights, where eligible
• 4 night week - our full-time nightshift managers work their ours across 4 nights
• Discount card – provided after 4 weeks that gives you and a second user 10% on most items in Sainsbury’s, Argos and Habitat. Throughout the year we regularly increase discount at Sainsbury's and Argos to 15% as an additional benefit.
• Free food and hot drinks provided for Colleagues in all our stores.
• Generous holiday entitlement, maternity and paternity leave
• Pension - we’ll match 4-7% of your pension contributions
• Sainsbury’s share scheme - build up an investment at discounted prices
• Wellbeing support - access to emotional support, counselling, legal and financial advice
• Colleague networks - link with like-minded people to help fulfil your potential
• Cycle to Work scheme - hire a new bike and cycling equipment, whilst saving on tax and NI
• Special offers on gym memberships, restaurants, holidays, retail vouchers and more
Click ‘apply’ to start your Sainsbury’s journey