The purpose of the role is to deliver a risk-based product assurance framework that considers both existing and emerging risks to reduced incidents and drive compliance. This role includes the coordination of our finished product analytical assurance programme working with internal stakeholders (Category Technical teams, Retail Safety, SMEs), external experts and laboratories. You will be responsible for managing this risk assessment, the testing programme, and internal and external relationships including with our contracted laboratories. You will also be responsible for reporting our results and overseeing external governance processes with leading industry bodies e.g. FIIN and PRiF. In addition, the role supports our category technical teams by offering advice and insight during the incident management process.
As a Product Assurance Technologist you’ll:
· Deliver, in collaboration with the Technical Service Manager, a risk assessed product testing / analytical assurance programme.
· Work collaboratively with internal SMEs, Category Technical Teams and external SMEs to identify how the programme can support in detecting emerging risks to the business.
· Manage the deployment of analytical work to external laboratories and the escalation of non-compliant results to the respective business owners utilising the appropriate governance framework.
· Ensure closure of identified non-compliances and support the category technical teams in investigating results.
· Provide specialist knowledge, excellent service and reduced admin burden enabling the Technical team in the business units add value.
· Ensure the programme manuals are accurate & up to date.
· Manage external analytical laboratories including KPI management.
· Report annual laboratory expenditure and identify cost saving opportunities/ everyday wins.
· Actively drive continuous improvement of the AAP through appropriate reviews.
· Coordinate improvements to our data, insights and reporting from the AAP.
· Engage with the Category technical teams and build a great relationship with Technologists.
· Support with our Food Fraud plan.
· Support in advising the Retail Safety/ Bakery/ Counters team with the Store Surveillence Programme.
· Have a good understanding of analysis types.
· Build relationships with internal and external stakeholders to identify centres of excellence for specific knowledge and insight e.g., advances in testing methods.
Our Technical team would love to see:
· Degree level or equivalent in a science discipline, or equivalent experience.
· Experience working in an accredited laboratory with a core understanding of food science, analytical testing or have a Food Technical/ Food Science supply base or retail background.
· Strong Project management, planning and prioritisation skills.
· Deliver technical excellence and attention to detail in all tasks.
· Good judgement, drive and influence and a clear targeted personal development plan to enhance these areas.
· Be a role model for accuracy and right first time in all aspects of product compliance.
· Understanding of systems and reporting tools, good IT skills.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Ability to implement change & look to the future.
· A passion for food safety, integrity and legality
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours, giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.
As well as a great work-life balance, lots of on-the-job training and endless opportunities, click here for more detail on our benefits: https://sainsburys.jobs/working-for-us/benefits/