There is an incredible opportunity available to someone who is super passionate about Beer to join the Sainsbury’s Buying Team as a buyer within the Beers, Wines and Spirits team. Our aim is to get the best products at the best prices to help us deliver quality and value to our customers. We’re a big, friendly team who negotiate with, and manage suppliers and we aim to deliver on a mission that matters: Helping Everyone Eat Better. After all, customers are at the heart of everything we do.
This role requires you to own, deliver and optimise the buying and selling strategy for Sainsbury’s Speciality and Low/No Beer range, including our market leading Craft Beer range. Sustainably grow sales (~£180m) market share and cash profit through a competitive and distinctive customer offer. You’ll work with brands both big and small, whilst working cross functionally to review product ranges, new product development and cost savings through consolidation and efficiencies. Whether it is engaging and exciting our customers with new innovative craft beers, or helping customers cut down their alcohol intake through improving our No/Low range, there is so much to get after!
As a Buyer you’ll:
- Develop and execute a customer centric price and promotional plan in line with corporate strategy
- Through brilliant supplier relationship management identify and negotiate cost savings.
- Work effectively with the range analysts to build a product range architecture that delivers a market-leading commercial advantage.
- Analyse financial, market and customer data to identify opportunities to deliver a market-leading product range including regularly reviewing own label products
- Influence key stakeholders across the business to gain engagement and commitment to buying area plans.
- Work effectively with Supply Chain and retail teams to deliver strong availability for customers.
- Deliver to business targets on share, sales and profit
- Scope, manage and lead relevant cross functional projects within the buying area through to landing.
- Work effectively with the Sainsbury’s brand team to deliver best in class innovation and commercially favourable product development.
- Be supported in your development by on and off the job training, and high-performing candidates could expect to progress to a senior buying role within the business after 1-2 years
Our BWS team would love to see:
- Demonstrable buying experience (Fresh or Grocery)
- A real passion for Beer; knowing and understanding the beer market and consumer knowledge
- Negotiation knowledge & skills
- Commercial awareness and understanding of finance.
- An analytical mindset with the ability to take complex data and turn it into outputs and action.
- Ability to analyse problems and make effective decisions
- Knowledge of buying systems and processes
- Clear and effective communication and strong influencing skills
- A proactive and collaborative nature
- Clear and effective communication to explain complex information clearly (written and verbal)
- Ability to adapt and flex your communication style to engage and inspire confidence
- Brilliant prioritisation and organisation
- Ability to spot issues, plan to mitigate risk
- Experience to lead relevant cross functional projects through to delivery
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours, giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.
As well as a great work-life balance, lots of on-the-job training and endless opportunities, click here for more detail on our benefits: https://sainsburys.jobs/working-for-us/benefits/