The Internal Communications Team is the engine room for communications across Sainsbury’s business, brands, and channels, owning the communication of our strategy, priorities and progress and telling everyone across the business what they need to know.
As the Head of Internal Communications - Campaigns, you will lead on internal comms planning and campaigning, driving colleague understanding of our plan and products through targeted colleague engagement around our five strategic pillars, focusing on Win in Food, Brands that Deliver and Save to Invest, with the aim of colleagues being brand and product ambassadors.
You will lead on leadership communications, including for the CEO, members of the Operating Board and broader leaders as relevant. You’ll support the creation of a joined-up, engaged and motivated leadership team through regular communications and events. This will include leading on developing and delivering events for senior leaders and Store Managers.
You will lead the team responsible for complex change communications projects and people-impacting cascades, ensuring that in all of our communications we are open and honest with colleagues about our plans and how they impact them.
You will work closely with the Head of Internal Communications: Business – who leads the transformation of our digital internal communications channels, our operational communications and Bank communications – to ensure we create and deliver one joined up internal communications strategy and plan.
What you need to do
- Lead the creation and delivery of one communications plan across internal communications campaigns, working closely with operational and bank communications and the wider Corporate Affairs function and ensuring that every communication has a clear call to action.
- Ensure our leadership communications are honest, open, listening and on the side of colleagues, supporting improved engagement and ensuring colleagues feel prepared for change.
- Drive planning, measurement and evaluation to ensure we have one joined up plan across Corporate Affairs.
- Lead the IC Campaigns team in regularly measuring and evaluating all of our internal communications campaigns so that we continually improve the effectiveness of our campaigns and channels in reaching and engaging colleagues.
- Work with the Head of Internal Communications: Business on the continuous review and development of our channels strategy and – where relevant – deliver new, improved channels that support our reach and impact.
- Set clear direction for the team, help to focus on and prioritise the most important and impactful communications and support them in continually reviewing and improving ways of working as a team and with the wider business.
- Be responsible for content across our colleague facing channels, including Yammer, posters, local newsletters.
What you need to know and show
- Outstanding ability to create relationships and influence at the highest levels across the business, face into difficult conversations and give others licence to challenge your perspective
- Ability to deliver large scale ambitious creative campaigns, write clear briefs and drive large-scale projects at a high quality and to time and budget
- Ability to lead, enthuse and motivate a broad team, setting clear objectives and a framework for where the team will and won’t support projects, and holding them accountable for delivering key projects to a very high standard
- Regularly demonstrate excellent judgement, as well as being a creative thinker and problem solver
- Ability to get close to customer and colleague behaviour and use this to influence business outcomes and communications
- Commercial and financial acumen, with specific experience managing large budgets
- Highly organised – able to juggle and prioritise a busy agenda, with the ability to embrace change and be action-orientated with high energy, pace, agility, and pragmatism
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
In return you’ll get
As the Head of Internal Communications – Campaigns, you’ll receive a host of great benefits. As well as a competitive salary and discretionary bonus, you will receive a huge range of learning and development opportunities, 27 days’ holiday, a save-as-you-earn scheme, pension and staff discounts at Argos, Sainsbury’s, and Habitat.
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how and where they work, combining remote and collaborative working, and giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.