Sainsbury’s Buying Teams ensure that we get the best products at the best prices to help us deliver quality and value to our customers.
As a Head of Buying you’ll be responsible for the commercial success of a substantial area within our Grocery business. We look for people who can develop and deliver a compelling offer for our customers, manage suppliers to deliver the right product and cost, and consistently achieve share and financial targets. You will lead a team of buyers who you will be expected to support and develop to build a high performing and effective team. It is through your thinking and leadership that we will continue to step on our commercial offer, challenge ourselves to continually improve, and land changes to ensure we build offers fit for the future.
You will be a proven leader, able to recruit, coach and develop a high-performing team. You will lead the team through long-term vision, short-term annual goals, and tactical strategies. The role has direct responsibility for a team of 5 colleagues.
As a Head of Buying you’ll:
- Develop and implement a customer-led selling strategy that grows market share and delivers our internal financial metrics
- Build a highly effectively cross functional team, leading a team of buyers while also building strong relationships with colleagues in planning, supply chain, technical and development and working together to deliver the category objectives
- Identify new product opportunities and develop and launch products that bring in new customers to the category and that are commercially viable
- Work with the planning, convenience, and online teams to optimise ranges and effectively market these across our channels
- Develop and implement a successful value and promotional strategy within the framework set by the Category Director and Head of Category Planning
- Develop the sourcing strategy for the area, selecting the suppliers that will best support the selling strategy and then effectively managing them (including by developing supplier business plans) to deliver their ranges at the best cost and quality while maximising supplier service and availability
- Deliver any other projects or activities that are needed to deliver the Business Unit or Category objectives
Health & Beauty would love to see:
- Experience of developing and delivering effective strategies in complex and ambiguous environments with minimal guidance – the right approach is often hard to identify and you need to be comfortable leading your team to find a solution in these circumstances
- Sound judgement (including knowing when to escalate or seek other input), strong analytical skills, broad business and industry knowledge, and the ability to take a longer-term perspective rather than just focus on the huge amount of detail that this role involves
- Experience of managing and negotiating effectively with suppliers
- Ability to set clear objectives for your team and support and coach them in delivering these objectives, and to build strong relationships across other functions to create a single high-performing team
- Ability to prioritise across multiple competing objectives, plan effectively, and manage workload for your team
- Clear sense of ownership and an ability to follow through tenaciously to resolve issues
- Experience of building a broad network (ideally externally and internally) to engage and influence others across an organisation to deliver your objectives – at senior and more junior levels, within your team and elsewhere in the business
- Resilience in the face of pressure and setbacks – this is a challenging role and you need to be able to bounce back and continue to motivate yourself and your team when things don’t go as expected
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good understanding of our trading processes, and the ability to manage your team to comply with these processes
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours, giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.
As well as a great work-life balance, lots of on-the-job training and endless opportunities, click here for more detail on our benefits: https://sainsburys.jobs/working-for-us/benefits/