Sainsbury’s Buying Teams ensure that we get the best products at the best prices to help us deliver quality and value to our customers and we aim to deliver on a mission that matters: Helping Everyone Eat Better. We have a Head of Buying role in Dairy, responsible for Cheese, Desserts and Chilled Beverages, both critical to Sainsbury’s Food First strategy. As a Head of Buying you will be responsible for the commercial success of a substantial area within our Food business. We look for people who can develop and deliver a compelling offer for our customers, manage suppliers to deliver the right product and cost, and consistently achieve market share and commercial targets. It is through your thinking and leadership that we will continue to step on our commercial offer, challenge ourselves to continually improve, and land changes to ensure we build offers fit for the future.
You will be a proven leader, able to recruit, coach and develop a high-performing team. You will lead the team through long-term vision, short-term annual goals, and tactical strategies. The role has line management responsibility for 4 colleagues. It is both a multi-functional and a cross-functional leadership role.
The successful candidates will have a strong commercial background, great strategic thinking ability and the skill to find innovative commercial ways to land value and innovation. Added to that, your positive energy and team-driven mind-set will make your team a team that colleagues want to be part of.
As a Head of Buying you’ll:
- Develop and implement a customer-led selling strategy that grows market share and delivers our internal financial metrics
- Evolve the sourcing strategy for the area, selecting the suppliers that will best support the selling strategy and leading through supplier business plans to deliver ranges at the best cost and quality, while maximising supplier service and availability
- Develop and implement a successful value and promotional strategy within the category framework
- Identify new, develop and launch new product opportunities that bring in new customers to the category and that are commercially viable
- Work with the planning, convenience, and online teams to optimise ranges and effectively market these across our channels
- Proactively participate in strategic developments that impact the category by managing and/or leading elements of the category plan
- Develop and coach a highly effectively cross functional team, leading a team of buyers while also building strong relationships with colleagues in planning, supply chain, technical and development and working together to deliver the objectives
Our Dairy would love to see:
- Experience of developing and delivering effective strategies in complex and ambiguous environments with minimal guidance, evidence of building selling plans
- Sound judgement (including knowing when to escalate or seek other input), strong analytical skills with broad business and industry knowledge
- Ability to take a longer-term perspective rather than just focus on the huge amount of detail that this role involves
- Experience of managing and negotiating effectively with fresh/grocery suppliers
- Experience of setting clear objectives for your team: lead, support and coach them in delivering these objectives, and to build strong relationships across other functions to create a single high-performing team
- Ability to prioritise across multiple competing objectives, plan effectively, and manage workload for your team
- Experience of building a broad network (ideally externally and internally) to engage and influence others across an organisation to deliver your objectives
- Resilience in the face of pressure and setbacks, ability to bounce back and continue to motivate yourself and your team
- Ability to build strong relationships including engaging and influencing key stakeholders
- Fresh and/or Grocery Trading/Commercial experience with ideally a good understanding of trading processes, and the ability to manage your team within these processes
- Supermarket retail knowledge desirable
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours, giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.
Please note this is a 12 month fixed term opportunity
As well as a great work-life balance, lots of on-the-job training and endless opportunities, click here for more detail on our benefits: https://sainsburys.jobs/working-for-us/benefits/