We have an exciting opportunity to join the Sainsbury's Trading team as a Buyer within the Packaged & Speciality category, in our Grocery division, reporting into the Buying Manager. It’s a fast-paced retail environment where you will be able to thrive working with a large FMCG supplier base where you'll negotiate with, manage and identify cost effective sourcing routes.
This Buyer role requires you to lead, optimise and execute the buying and selling strategies for and as a result to sustainably grow your Pasta, Rice and Oils sales (circa £200million) market share and profit. Whether it’s the Spaghetti for that tasty Bolognese or rice for that special homemade Curry, these really are the essential and staple products for our customers. You’ll get to work with a variety of cross functional teams including senior stakeholders, work with both own brand and branded products and most crucially ensure customer satisfaction through great range, quality, availability and value; After all, customers are at the heart of everything we do!
As a Buyer you’ll:
- Know and understand the relevant retail market and the category performance.
- Develop and execute a customer centric price and promotional plan in line with corporate strategy.
- Through brilliant supplier relationship management and understanding of the end to end supply chain, identify and negotiate cost savings.
- Scope, manage and lead relevant cross functional projects within the buying area through to landing.
- Work effectively with the range analysts to build a product range architecture that delivers a market-leading commercial advantage.
- Work effectively with Supply Chain and retail teams to deliver strong availability for customers.
- Work effectively with the Sainsbury’s brand team to deliver best in class innovation and commercially favourable product development.
- Influence key stakeholders across the business to gain engagement and commitment to buying area plans.
- Deliver to business targets on sales, profit, value and range
Our Packaged & Speciality Buying Team would love to see:
- Demonstrable buying experience (Fresh or Grocery preferred)
- Previous experience of the tender process
- Knowledge, understanding and management of contracts with suppliers
- Some experience of cost stack building and analysis desirable
- Knowledge of buying systems and processes
- Strong commercial acumen
- Ability to analyse problems and make effective decisions
- Clear and effective communication to explain complex information clearly (written and verbal)
- Ability to adapt and flex your communication style to engage and inspire confidence
- Brilliant prioritisation and organisation
- Ability to spot issues, plan to mitigate risk
- Experience to lead relevant cross functional projects through to delivery
- High levels of resilience
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours, giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.
As well as a great work-life balance, lots of on-the-job training and endless opportunities, click here for more detail on our benefits: https://sainsburys.jobs/working-for-us/benefits/