In a nutshell
At Sainsbury’s, we believe that the customer should be at the heart of everything we do which is why we have put digital at the centre of our vision – to be the ‘no brainer’ financial services provider for our loyal Sainsbury’s Group customers. We will succeed by being there for our customers whenever, wherever and however they want and of serving more of our customers, more of the time. Within Digital, we are driving “simply brilliant, brilliantly simple” experiences across all our brands. Operating in agile teams, we look to deliver value early and often, refining by continuously gaining feedback on what we deliver and acting fast on that. We work seamlessly together to make the most of the exceptional knowledge, insight and talent that we have across the division.
You’ll own, manage and maintain the product backlog and roadmap, working actively with your team to make it come to life! You’ll have a strong desire to improve customer experiences and will partner with Engineering to define, deliver and iterate features to find creative ways to deliver awesome experiences for our customers.
You’ll care about all things web. Primarily you’ll be focussed on the public website, but you’ll also advise on our general approach to web. You’ll be the glue that brings the team together, supporting business cases and making them happen at a tactical level.
The Sainsbury’s product community spans across Argos (the UK’s 3rd largest general merchandise retailer), Sainsbury’s (the UK’s 2nd largest grocery retailer), Nectar (the largest loyalty programme in the UK) as well as Tu clothing, Sainsbury’s Bank and Argos Financial Services. That means we’re big and that's really exciting when you consider the volume of customers that see your work, the value that you can bring to so many, and the vast insights that you can tap into, to learn and iterate quickly.
What you’ll be doing
- Working with the Senior Digital Product Manager, you’ll develop the vision, strategy, roadmap and backlog for your product, building customer experiences that align to our technology strategy and respond to our business priorities.
- Determining the right level or type of material to communicate the experience, benefits and long-term vision of your product, across a variety of internal & external audiences.
- Owning the customer and business value for your product backlog, working to deliver maximum value, while making effective prioritisation choices to deliver the best outcomes and return on capital.
- Co-managing end-to-end delivery. You’ll ensure work is prioritised in your backlog in line with the agreed product goals and metrics.
- Maintaining a realistic 90-day roadmap, as well as a prioritised and estimated FY backlog, regularly communicating progress and pro-actively managing risks or issues to remove blockers.
- You’ll be the subject matter expert in the components of web including content, UX, design, analytics, customer journey and industry context.
- Conversion rate optimisation of financial services sales funnels.
- Building a highly collaborative relationship with the wider Digital, Engineering, Marketing, Commercial and Operations teams, to implement fast-paced incremental improvements to solve problems for our customers and the business.
- Together with Technology teams, evaluating potential partner relationships, helping to identify necessary and/or desirable third-party technology to evaluate and select vendors.
- Taking ownership of prioritising and coordinating issue resolution, running retrospectives to continually learn and improve.
- Applying insight, data and research to ensure your team continue to optimise your product.
- Monitoring relevant industry trends and engaging both internal and external teams as appropriate to build shared insight.
- Co-ordinating and reporting post-launch evaluation to validate that products work for customers or colleagues as designed and value is delivered, measured by appropriate metrics and through post-investment reviews.
What you’ll know & show
- Proven track record of leading delivery of technology-led change. You will have shipped products at scale that customers and colleagues love.
- Experience planning and managing website change.
- A passion for web.
- Ability to translate business goals, technology strategy and market knowledge into a product roadmap that prioritises delivery of value and enables future business agility.
- Previous accountability for the management of your backlog and the delivery of the roadmaps for your product.
- Extensive experience of product/project/programme management.
- Demonstrable experience of leading and developing teams.
- Working knowledge of technology relevant to digital retail.
- Creative problem solving & enthusiasm for delivering change through people and technology.
- Anticipating risks & opportunities, responding to escalations at pace & coaching others to find solutions.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, ensuring senior stakeholder advocacy for your product.
- Strong leadership and influencing skills, adapting your decision making to different levels of ambiguity and urgency.
- Embrace shared responsibility and role model effective collaboration.
- Consistently engaging and motivating people with a variety of perspectives around the roadmap for your product, facing into difficult conversations and giving others licence to challenge your perspective.
- A solid technical grounding, to be comfortable having technical discussions with the teams.
In addition to the all- important competitive salary, pension & bonus offering, we totally get that life outside work is important to us all. So, we want to shout out some of our other great benefits…
- We offer flexible working to help you achieve a good work/life balance
- Opportunity to buy extra holidays is on the table
- Discounts on your weekly shop, buying a laptop or sofa? We’ve got it covered through your Sainsburys, Argos and Habitat store discount card
- Cycle to work scheme
A little about us & our culture
We’re proud of our heritage as the UK’s first supermarket bank. As digital technology drives the banking landscape we want to be at the cutting edge of this technology, offering award winning innovative digital banking products to our customers. Technology is where we see our growth therefore we need innovators to join us and drive the next phase of our evolution.
We’re a friendly bunch who collectively share a passion to make our customers’ financial lives easier. As part of the wider Sainsbury’s Group, being one of the UK’s most trusted brands, it brings our colleagues a wealth of opportunities to fulfil their potential. Here, you can be part of something bigger and help to create a new approach that puts the customer at the heart of everything we do.
Everyone is welcome at the Sainsbury’s Group, and we’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer that champions a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours within their working days, giving plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.
If you’re interested in applying and are excited about working with us but are unsure if you have the right skills and experience – we’d still love to hear from you! We’d also be happy to discuss more flexible working options such as job shares and part time working.
As this role involves working within a regulated environment any offer will be subject to satisfactory background checks including criminal record check, credit check, fraud check and employment references.