The big question: why on earth should a Tech professional like you work for a 150-year-old retail chain? Because we’re on a journey. Changing the way we operate. Learning to think nimble. Giving our teams the time and freedom they need to push boundaries. To create amazing systems and technologies. To give our colleagues and our customers even more incredible experiences.
There are thousands of experts to talk to and learn from. We’ve got data from billions of transactions for our teams to play with. Things get built here. They get made here. They hit customers and colleagues quickly. Welcome to the home of Sainsbury's Data.
More about the role
We have ~50 Analysts and Data Scientists within Marketing focusing on the broad spectrum of customer analytics, and we have 30 million known customers to play with…
This sub team is carrying out pure development work. We do our most complex modelling, forecasting, tool building, and insights-generation and we use agile working methodologies to make sure we’re prioritising the right outcomes. Our Data Scientists are critical in supporting Sainsbury’s to be successful in our corporate strategy of Knowing Our Customers Better Than Anyone Else.
You will be delivering, analysing, evolving and innovating: efficient, accurate and pacey delivery of code that drives both loyalty and commercial value is the order of the day.
Specifically, this Data Scientist role will be supporting the team in the following:
• Understanding known behaviour and trends across both Sainsbury’s and Argos..
• Developing an analytical view of our customers through life-time value modelling, doing this across each individual mission and across the Group.
• Understanding how customers see value and the profitability of an individual’s relationship and sensitivity with price, promotions, Nectar points and offers in order to consider our levers for growth.
• Building, maintaining and iterating customer segmentations.
• Identifying new approaches and methodologies develop how we do things.
• Being the first port of call when it comes to leveraging our Group-wide dataset and feeding requirements into our Single Customer View data team.
• Ensuring every bit of code and output we deliver is documented, repeatable, scalable and sharable via appropriate, collaborative tools (e.g. Git, Confluence).
• Being an active, participating member of the wider Analytical community at Sainsbury’s.
• Pairing with Data Engineers to productionise our outputs.
What we’re looking for
• At least 2 years’ experience in an analytical role (analyst or data scientist).
• Extensive programming ability across Python or R and strong ability to use SQL, with a proven experience of analysing data in a corporate environment.
• Experience using Jupyter notebooks and version control within a team using Git.
• Strong analytical skills and statistical foundation in concepts such as predictive modelling, clustering and time series analysis.
• Experience using cloud platforms such as AWS or Azure and associated ML tools is desirable but not essential.
• A curious problem solver who is proactive at developing their technical skills.
• Business acumen and commercial awareness
• Ability to articulate required outcomes and present analytics work succinctly.
• Independence to achieve results and work under own guidance and initiative
• Able to have effective technical conversations with data engineers.
• Curiosity, scepticism and attention to detail regarding data quality, samples, bias and ethics.
• An awareness and understanding of technology trends and direction in Analytics.
What we offer
• Colleague discount across the multi-brands – Sainsbury’s, Argos and Habitat
• Holiday allowance
• Bonus scheme
• Pension plan
• Special offers on gym memberships, restaurants, holidays, retail vouchers and more
Flexible working and job share conversations are encouraged. We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer that champions a diverse and inclusive culture. If you’re reading this, even if you’re not 100% sure you’re there with your experience, we’d still love to hear from you.