Data Solutions Architect
Can be based in Edinburgh, Milton Keynes or Widnes
We are open to this role being based in any of the above locations as remote working is involved, however, when we return to our normal ways of working regular travel to Edinburgh will be required.
In a nutshell
At Sainsbury’s Bank, we’re reimagining our Technology and Change teams. Our mission is to a build a change capability that allows our Sainsbury’s Bank and Argos Financial Services brands to deliver in their objective to be an agile, capital and cost efficient provider of simple, mobile-led financial services for loyal Sainsbury’s and Argos shoppers. We want to create an environment where technology and change professionals can flourish and grow, with real opportunities for development and progression.
We are continuing to migrate its data workloads to its Cloud based Data Warehouse and AI/ML services resulting in large transformation opportunities. The Data Solutions Architect will be a critical role to ensure that the functionality / capabilities / data required for the specific business goals and outcomes of the organisation are met.
The Data Solutions Architect will perform architecture and design activities in support of the different projects or product teams. They are required to work with business analysts, data analysts, Business SME’s and Suppliers to determine the data requirements and then to design the end-to-end Data Architecture comprising of the Source System Interfaces, data ingestion patterns, the ETL/ELT architecture, conceptual and logical data models, the data access layer definition and end user query engines.
Data Solutions Architects will undertake the Level 1 Solution Architecture Documents (SAD) for Data Solutions and the Data specific High Level designs where relevant as well as data modelling and mapping artefacts. The role of the data solutions architect will also be to develop and maintain data architecture standards in order to set guidelines to simplify decision making for the relevant projects. The architect will then undertake governance across those projects working with the design leads/technical analysts to ensure the decisions have been made correctly.
What you need to do
To be a recognised Data Solutions Architect with overall responsibility for the following in areas of expertise:
- Be responsible for the Data Solutions Architecture
- Be responsible for defining the data standards
- Undertake Design Governance using those standards against High Level Designs, Interface, Ingestion designs and Logical and Physical Data Models
- Support Design Leads, Data Engineers and Analysts on Entity Mappings, Data Quality/Reconciliation, Data Models and Surrogate Keys definitions
- Support the Principal Architect on defining data architecture roadmaps and data technology radars
- Data Solution Architects are typically either assigned to programmes / projects of median complexity. Expectations of the role holder include:
- Supporting project teams in development of data requirements
- Providing input to project / programme cost estimation (including total cost of ownership)
- Producing the Solution Architecture and Data Specific artefacts (Level 1 Design, Conceptual and Logical data groups/models, Data High Level designs)
- To ensure architecture standards, policies and design and design governance approaches/processes are understood and adhered to
- To support the Principal Architect in overall assessment and approval of design and design approach/governance proposals via relevant governance bodies (e.g. Technical Design authority)
- To support overall capital and revenue budgets and forecasts for technology components of projects and programmes (including input to estimations of costs and delivery timescales)
- To act as an interface between suppliers/vendors and the SB architecture functions
- To support ongoing development of Architecture capability within Sainsbury’s bank
What you need to know and show
- Experience as a Data Solutions Architect with a broad range of data Ingestion Patterns (Full, CDC, Transactional), data modelling (Conceptual and Logical) and analytical design preferably in Retail Banking
- Proven ability to design and deliver flexible, reliable, operable, cost effective data solutions
- Experience of working in a complex sourcing environment with multiple, diverse partnerships
- Well organised and able to prioritise workload in line with tight deadlines and work effectively under pressure, as well as being able to demonstrate effective use of escalation where necessary
- Awareness of all Architecture domains (Solution, Application, Integration, Data, Infrastructure, Security)
- A broad understanding of the operating environment of Sainsbury's Bank (including the commercial and shareholders' views of the Bank's operating model)
- Demonstrable experience in defining Data Architecture standards, principles, solution design and implementation concerns
- Demonstrate an ability to think and reason logically
- Degree qualified, or with equivalent industry experience
- Experience of Architectural frameworks (e.g. TOGAF, Zachman) preferred
- Strong relationship management skills
- Excellent written communication – business and project reports
- Exceptional communication skills - ability to communicate effectively with anyone in any environment, e.g. able to translate complex / technical issues to meet the audience's competency level
Colleague Conduct Rules
The individual performing this role is expected to adhere to the conduct rules as specified by our regulators (PRA and FCA).
In addition to the all-important salary, pension & bonus offering, we totally get that life outside work is important to us all. So we want to shout out some of our other great benefits…
- We offer flexible working to help you achieve a good work/life balance
- Opportunity to buy extra holidays is on the table
- Discounts on your weekly shop, buying a laptop or sofa? We’ve got it covered through your Sainsbury’s, Argos and Habitat store discount card
- Cycle to work scheme and great coffee and cake!
A little about us & our culture
We’re proud of our heritage as the UK’s first supermarket bank. As digital technology drives the banking landscape we want to be at the cutting edge of this technology, offering award winning innovative digital banking products to our customers.
Technology is where we see our growth therefore, we need innovators to join us and drive the next phase of our evolution.
We’re a friendly bunch who collectively share a passion to make our customers’ financial lives easier. As part of the wider Sainsbury’s Group, being one of the UK’s most trusted brands, it brings our colleagues a wealth of opportunities to fulfil their potential.
Here, you can be part of something bigger and help to create a new approach that puts the customer at the heart of everything we do.
Everyone is welcome at the Sainsbury’s Group, and we’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer that champions a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. If you’re interested in applying and are excited about working with us, but are unsure if you have the right skills and experience – we’d still love to hear from you! Apply today and we’ll be in touch (we’re also happy to discuss flexible working options (including part time)
As this role involves working within a regulated environment any offer will be subject to satisfactory background checks including criminal record check, credit check, fraud check and employment references.