This exciting role which fits into the Petrol & Kiosk planning team is to support the lead category planner to deliver the overall value proposition on both price & promotion within P&K. This role is varied, and it involves working with the buyers/ P&P partner/insight teams and external resource of our category teams in our supply base to ensure we optimise our value position through detailed analysis & evidence.
Supporting the lead promotional Category Planner, it is important to deliver the end-to-end promotional process with administration & communication excellence and this can be done by supporting the buyers with a framework & clear timeline and information to best deliver the P&K targets.
The main part of the role is around pricing and competitive analysis, but you may also be required to support with the planning and the implementation of the ABC’s where we have some exciting projects.
This role is within the Petrol & Kiosk category, reporting to the lead promotional Category Planner and an integral part of the planning team.
What you need to do
- Support the delivery of the category pricing strategy, using internal insight and working with suppliers to optimise the space. Measure success and continually improve as we implement the plan.
- Manage and be accountable for the execution of the promotional timelines, working with Buyers, Supply Chain, Category Assistants, Marketing and the Central Promotions Team, driving best practice and right first-time delivery.
- Support the implementation of the in-store POS strategy, engaging stakeholders, sharing analysis and recommending future strategy.
- With the lead promotion Category Planner represent the Category from a customer planning perspective, ensuring our fair share of voice on the activation plan.
- Use customer insight to inform the promotional plans and support any PIR (post implementation review) work.
- Be up to date with the performance of the category through the use of internal and external insights, Nielsen and other market intelligence sources (e.g. IGD)
What you need to know
- Strong analytics and problem solving
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong influencing skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
What you need to show
- Ability to build great working relationships across Sainsburys and suppliers
- Always strive to keep things simple
- Good project management skills (independent thinking, goal setting, results orientation)
- Ability to communicate and influence to all levels in the business
- Ability to work within a team and make decisions best for the customer
What decisions I can make
- Ownership of Category in-store point of sale execution
- Ownership of seasonal event activation
- Ownership of total activation plan
- Milestone management
- Appropriate coaching and development of buyers through promotional strategy
Resources available to me
- Category expertise through Buyers, other Category Planners, Range Planners, and broader leadership team
- Support from the insight and Marketing teams
- Supplier base for competitor promotional insight and support
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Graduate calibre with a good understanding of retail, insight and customers with buying knowledge an advantage although not necessary.
- Excellent range of influence, confident challenger to peers and wider teams to ensure plans are delivered to time and high quality.
- Excellent communicator, able to flex approach according to audience – from peers to more senior stakeholders
- Organised worker who thrives on planning and coordinating
- Quick thinker with ability to spot issues, act on insight and be quick to implement change when required
- Strong Excel skills and the ability to interpret data into insights and deliver to stakeholders
- Evidence of living the Sainsbury’s values