Buying forms the backbone of our business so is naturally incredibly fast-paced. We look for people who can deliver a variety of strategies to help drive sales and profit, and who have an interest in understanding our customers and what makes a great product for them.
As a Buyer in General Merchandise, you will be responsible for translating and delivering the category strategy for your given product range/series helping to achieve profitable growth.
You’ll own and support the delivery of agreed target KPIs (including Sales, Margin, Stock, Availability, Digital Metrics and Customer satisfaction) in line with the category strategy. You will be buying Branded ranges, trading a customer focussed proposition through the team, and establishing effective relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
This role also has responsibility for managing and guiding an Assistant Buyer.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design and implement a customer driven, strategic vision for product ranges in line with the category strategy with clearly defined and measurable initiatives
- Working in partnership with Product Development and Global Sourcing teams to deliver the sourcing and selection strategy for a group of products
- Using knowledge of markets and suppliers, inform the category budget and create and implement trading plans
- Act as a coach by managing Assistant Buyers and Admin Assistants, regularly assessing individuals’ performance and giving feedback where appropriate
- Manage pricing across category to achieve a competitive position without compromising profitability
- Influence global brands on their product offer to build a credible curated customer proposition
- Lead and develop strong supplier relationships to ensure we are front of mind in terms of product development
- Review improved annual terms with full supply base to maximise group synergies
- Deliver the own brand proposition through collaborative working with design, product development, merchandising and global sourcing teams to land product that differentiates us vs the market.
- Work strategically with brands to secure exclusive, winning, and compelling promotions and events; allowing us to win with customers
- Develop a compelling promotional plan for the category, working cross-functionally with the Marketing and Digital teams to create multichannel marketing
- Monitor market trends, competitor activity, price positioning and stock availability and work in partnership with Merchandisers to react appropriately to maximise sales, profitability and market share
- Conduct regular store visits and build relations with the retail team, gaining a commercial awareness of competitor and position and activity
- Beyond own ranges, develop knowledge of wider category to support and where necessary, deputise for Senior Buyer
- Ensure team activity is legal and compliant, and that any team members are trained to understand their obligations under competition law and ethical training
- Commercial awareness and previous Buying experience, preferably within a Non-food Omni-channel environment
- Knowledge of systems and processes in a complex multi-channel environment
- Good degree of commercial acumen with a proven track record of commercial successes within this or other organisations
- Knowledge and understanding of Legal, competition law, anti-bribery and corruption, Intellectual Property and TSI
- Ability to analyse complex data from multiple sources to drive decisions and strategies
- Proven track record of delivering results to targets as an individual and within a team
- Financially astute understands how own business decisions can influence shareholder value, understand financial levers to drive product performance with category responsibility
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-moving dynamic retail environment
- Ability to identify market trends and opportunities, at pace
- Effective communicator, presenter, and team player with an ability to bring other with them to deliver the strategy
- Experience of working with suppliers on a FOB & domestic basis
- Demonstrate credibility with stakeholders, displaying a range of influencing styles
- Acts as a change agent and embraces new ways of working and share best-practice
- Focus on the customer and make decisions based on customer feedback
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours, giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.