As a Senior Analyst you will be responsible for leading the analytical and statistical approach to a range of business challenges. A hands on role, you will be the analytical expert, building predictive models and designing the best approach to gain insight from data. The range of stakeholders will be vast so it’s important that you can convey complex problems to non-technical audiences as well as coach less experienced analysts to develop in their field.
What I need to do
- Provide statistical analysis and predictive modelling across a range of retail business areas.
- Define and develop the analytical approach to large scale development projects that deliver significant value to the business (e.g. Promo ROI, Ranging and Commercial PIR tools)
- Guide analysts across the team to ensure that the work they complete is based on robust analytical approaches and enables the provision of key insightful commentary. Playing a leading role in the coaching and analytical up skilling of analysts across the team.
- Work across a range of projects always ensuring that analysis delivers value for the business and contributes to the defined business strategy or Data and Analytics vision.
- Develop approaches to monitor and assess experiments and trials of new retail and / or trading propositions, making recommendations on how they should be adjusted to drive improved performance.
- Act as the Product Owner or Delivery Manager when required.
- Deliver analysis and predictive modelling that is accurate, statistically robust and importantly delivers business value
- Provide analytical support and coaching to analysts to support them in developing their technical skill set
- Influence colleagues across the team you work in, so that they buy into your approaches and recommendations thereby showing willingness to try new activities to improve business performance
- Become the go-to knowledge bank for analytical expertise, earning a reputation for adding value to the team in which you work
- Demonstrate a high level of team contribution – becoming known to the wider community as pro active and commercially collaborative yet with strength and confidence to challenge frequently as needed
- Be flexible in the way that you can work and deliver. Be able to act as different roles in your agile squad or team
- What I need to know
- High calibre graduates (2.1 or above) in mathematics, statistics, operational research or quality computing degree – BSc or MSc level. A-level Mathematics is essential.
- Excellent analytical skills and statistical understanding including: time series analysis, operational research, predictive modelling
- Proven ability to analyse, present and communicate technical concepts in a compelling format to drive action
- A detailed understanding of how to apply analytical tools and associated technologies to data to solve business problems (SAS, R, Python etc) with the aptitude to adapt to new technologies quickly
- How to quickly assimilate information and extract key themes, understand number problems and make educated guesses where appropriate
- An understanding of how to coach & upskill colleagues in the statistical and analytical techniques that can be applied to data.
Over and above what you need to know, you will need to show:
- Logical approach to problem solving with strong attention to detail
- Ability to apply advanced analytics and statistics to business problems and realise significant business benefit through projects delivered
- Proven experience of working with large volumes of data, applying tools such as SAS, R, Python and / or SQL
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to explain technical concepts in simple terms to a non-technical audience
- Confident in questioning a proposed strategy or approach to analysis and in offering ideas and solutions
- Proactive attitude that embraces change in a fast moving environment – a desire and ability to develop and progress
- Knowledge of, or an interest in retail
- Resources available to me
- A wholly engaged business with no shortage of appetite for analytics and insights to help them be more successful
- Training as required
- Contribute to the analytically approaches applied to business area through providing greater insight into its performance and potential areas of improvement