Our Buying teams are at the forefront of our success. There is no better time to join our business as we face into projects with pace and passion. As a Senior Buyer you will make decisions that will impact the success of each and every Sainsbury’s store in the UK. You will work alongside highly motivated individuals who thrive in a fast paced, diverse environment.
You will be responsible for executing the sourcing and selection strategy within a specific product range. With a turnover of approximately £300 million within the Business Unit framework (whilst this will be set by the Category Manager and the Business Unit Director), you will need to achieve optimum cost through challenging negotiations, superb supplier management, and, identification of the most cost effective sourcing routes.
You will be supported by other Buyers within the category and report into the Buying Manager.
What you need to do
- Execute sourcing and selection strategy for a given range of products
- Negotiate optimum product cost with suppliers
- Identify most cost effective sourcing routes into the stores
- Implement Pricing, Promotional & Ranging strategies as agreed by the Business Strategy
- Achieve specific performance targets for suppliers and assess supplier performance
- To know and understand the relevant retail market and the category performance within that
- To liaise with Supply Chain, Sainsbury’s Brand Product Team and Retail colleagues to drive the product range
- To liaise with the Buying Manager and Category Manager to identify future commercial opportunities
- To support the implementation of New Product Development
- To liaise with the Product Technologist/Developer in setting the quality criteria for products, ensuring the optimal balance between quality and price is maintained
- To regularly review own label products against their appropriate competitor benchmarks
- Accountable for Category plan at Sub Category level
- Ability to understand commercial risk involved: to effectively manage and communicate it to relevant stakeholders
- Demonstrate ability to engage and influence key senior stakeholders
What you need to show
- Spots opportunities using product, market and consumer knowledge, as well as market awareness
- Anticipates risks and knock-on implications outside your team and division and defining the action plans and solutions
- Building long-term, collaborative engagement with stakeholders from different parts of the business and levels of seniority
**Please note, if you are shortlisted for this vacancy, you will be required to complete an online assessment which will be sent to the email address you provided on your application**