Sainsbury’s is growing, and fast, which means creating a consistently great experience for all shoppers is more important and challenging than ever. And it falls to us in Corporate Services, to set the standard to make sure that happens.
Within this division, the award-wining Group Legal Services team provides key legal support on all aspects of our operations, across five exceptional specialist teams.
The Senior Employment Litigator (Equal Pay) is a pivotal role within our in-house Employment Law team. Within this role you’ll be helping to set the short-term objectives and long-term strategy of a complex, multi-year group equal pay litigation. You’ll be setting the direction and leading external legal teams in line with our strategy of defence. This role will involve a high degree of collaboration with multiple senior stakeholders internally across the group to ensure the strategy is appropriately engaged, agreed and all future business change and associated risks are fully understood and where appropriate, mitigated.
To be successful in this role you’ll be an Solicitor or Counsel, with significant previous experience in large scale complex group equal pay actions or high value tribunal litigation.
More about the role:
- Provide leadership and direction in managing all external legal teams representing the Company in complex equal pay litigation.
- Play a leading role in the design and implementation of the equal pay and other complex litigation defence strategies.
- Closely monitor legislation, case law and Government activities relating to Equal Pay, providing strategic advice to relevant stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders across the company to ensure they are appropriately engaged and aware of group litigation including their responsibilities in implementing the defence strategy.
More about you:
- Experience in large scale complex group equal pay actions or high value tribunal litigation.
- Solicitor or Counsel.
- Excellent strategic thinking and critical analysis skills.
- Demonstrable experience in stakeholder management and communication, including a proven ability to influence at a Senior Management and Executive, up to PLC Board level.
- Strong commercial awareness.
- Demonstrates competence in financial planning and control.
- Excellent collaboration and influencing skills – able to challenge effectively, provoke new thinking and drive progress.
- Excellent written & verbal communication e.g., Board reports and senior stakeholder updates.
- Excellent prioritisation skills.
- Experience of working in a large in-house legal team or in a reputable law firm (desirable)
- Detailed working knowledge of Equal Pay Law and the Equal Pay Act 2010 (desirable)
As a Senior Employment Litigator, you’ll receive a host of great benefits. As well as a competitive salary, car cash allowance, rewarding bonus scheme and private healthcare, you will receive a huge range of learning and development opportunities, 27 days’ holiday, a save-as-you-earn scheme, pension and staff discounts at Argos, Sainsbury’s and Habitat.
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours, giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.