We are looking for a Software Engineer to help build great apps and services in the Sainsbury’s Digital Team. You'll work as part of a team of full stack Software Engineers, Designers, and Product Managers across multiple platforms and technologies to create a beautiful application ecosystem that is consistent, highly usable, reliable and performant.
As a Software Engineer you will:
- Pair program all day, every day, tackling problems using a test-driven approach and multiple languages.
- Be a contributing part of a development team which is dedicated to a lean approach to software engineering and holds empathy and understanding as its core values.
- Help to build MVPs which drive how we develop software by validating our assumptions.
- Deploy code frequently using continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Have regular retrospectives so we can figure out what we can fix, improve and build on.
- Write well-structured, beautiful clean code.
- See writing automated tests as a benefit, not a chore.
- Experience all types of teams, products and technologies.
- Define your career path and be given the opportunity to grow and learn.
- Benefit from working in a multi-disciplinary team, that uses best practice software and product development techniques, and values continuous improvement.
- Strong communication skills working as part of a team and interest in pair programming.
- A collaborative approach to problem solving.
- Passion for growing your skills, tackling interesting work, and challenging problems.
- Good knowledge of one of the following languages: Go, Kotlin or Swift and the desire to learn others (don’t worry - we will help you learn!)
- An understanding of agile development practices
- You can write great code. Software design is as important to you as writing code.
- You are open to new ideas and ways of working.
- Experience of pair programming
- Experience using Extreme Programming
- Knowledge of unit testing using mocking and behavioural testing