Job DescriptionWhat I need to do
• Provide timely and accurate VAT advice to all areas of the business as required, including:
o Sainsbury’s Supermarkets;
o Sainsbury’s Bank;
o Nectar; and
o Any other Group companies
• Review relevant VAT returns prepared by VAT Accountants and provide support to Senior VAT Manager to ensure all VAT returns are submitted accurately and on time;
• Assist in the collation and submission of disclosures to HMRC, including technical rationale for disclosures. Work with VAT Accountants to ensure submission to HMRC is timely and accurate and take lead in subsequent correspondence with HMRC;
• Work closely with VAT Accountants to provide support and grow VAT Accountants’ technical knowledge;
• Supervise weekly review of VAT liabilities of products sold. Use VAT knowledge to ensure that challenge is made to suppliers in respect of contentious areas as appropriate;
• Keep up to date with recent changes in VAT Legislation and guidance and take responsibility for relevant implementation of changes and/or controls in the business;
• Researching VAT Legislation and Case Law and providing advice to members of team to ensure business is VAT compliant ;
• Review business activities, identifying particular areas where VAT has an impact or is impacted, to ensure that the business remains VAT compliant;
• Proactively identify new or complex areas and work with key stakeholders and Tax team to identify and follow through on VAT risks and opportunities;
• Provide support on sensitive commercial projects, working closely with key members of the relevant project team to provide appropriate, technical VAT advice;
• Work in conjunction with Senior VAT Manager to prepare and deliver VAT training to areas of the business as required;
• Review Partial Exemption calculation and Capital Goods Scheme adjustments in line with agreement with HMRC;
• Review agreed Bespoke Retail Scheme on a regular basis and ensure that business is compliant with this. Take responsibility for agreeing new areas of business incorporation into the Bespoke Retail Scheme with HMRC;
• Liaise with HM Revenue and Customs as required;
• Provide support to Senior VAT Manager on BAU VAT tasks ;
• Undertake adhoc compliance tasks and proactively complete in house VAT compliance reviews.
• Delivering timely and accurate advice in a clear and simple manner to relevant stakeholders
• Completion of all HMRC requirements accurately and on time
• Prioritising and working autonomously under pressure to meet tight deadlines
• Evidence of robust processes and control in place which are up to date
What I need to know
• Strong VAT technical skills.
• Previous experience of VAT compliance and VAT advisory is a must; e.g. Experience in HMRC, professional services firm or in-house.
• Good Excel skills with an aptitude for analysing data and turning it into insight.
What I need to show
• Strong Technical VAT knowledge
• Pace, energy and a “can do” attitude.
• Great communication and organisational skills
• Ability to work autonomously and in a team.
Resources available to me
• Appropriate support from the Senior VAT Manager and other VAT colleagues in the team.
• Regular 121s with your line manager.
• Technical updates and online resource.
• HMRC Guidance.
What decisions I can make
• The role will allow a mixture of autonomy and sign off by C6 Senior VAT Manager dependent on the work undertaken.