As a group made up of the one of the largest Grocery retailers in the UK, a leading digital retailer and a large scale, wholly owned retail bank and loyalty programme, Sainsbury’s Argos is a hugely data rich business. Data is curated from customers, suppliers, colleagues and our varied and extensive operations and the group is passionate about extracting the maximum possible value from this data to deliver the best customer experience across our businesses and channels.
As an Analytics Manager you will be responsible for leading a small team of analysts to deliver high quality analysis and insight, always seeking to add the ‘so what’ to data in response to business questions. The individual will interact with Heads of, Managers and other colleagues to drive up understanding of an area of our business in order to shape future strategies as well as delivering ad-hoc project analysis. The purpose of this role is to give the business greater insight into its performance and potential areas of improvement as well as facilitating data-based assessment of issues and initiatives. We are a centralised team and we work in agile so a really exciting aspect of this role is that you can expect to work on challenges ranging from market insights to operational efficiency in our stores as part of a virtual and multidisciplinary team.
What I need to do
- Lead a team to conduct high-quality analysis on all aspects of performance as part of a virtual team embedded in an area of the business. Applying advanced analytical techniques including predictive modelling to go beyond what the data initially presents.
- Day to day stakeholder management of specific business area, working with them to implement their strategy through data and insight.
- Develop recommendations as to how retail and / or trading propositions should be adjusted to drive improved performance.
- Instil an approach within the teams you support so that data is used to understand performance balancing the need to maximise sales and reduce costs whilst also keep the customer at the heart.
- Provide analytical expertise in the development and delivery of goals and outcomes to the business as defined by the business area in which your virtual team is embedded.
- Support and actively promote the reporting, tools and data developed by the wider Food and Group CDO teams in day to day business activity.
- Responsible for the analysis plan development and prioritisation of work for your team of Analysts to appropriately support business area.
- Act as the Product Owner or Delivery Manager when required.
How I will succeed
- Deliver accurate, timely and insightful analysis which is easy to process and understand and ultimately leads to a change in approach or an understanding of the drivers of performance
- Convey complex analysis into action driving insight, always communicating in a way that meets the need of end users
- Manage, motivate and develop a team of analysts and junior analysts to reach their full potential
- Become the go-to knowledge bank for understanding performance in an area of the business, earning a reputation for adding value to the teams you support and influencing colleagues so that they buy into data driven recommendations
- Demonstrate a high level of team contribution – becoming known to the wider community as pro active and commercially collaborative yet with strength and confidence to challenge frequently as needed
- High calibre graduates (2.1 or above) in mathematics, statistics, operational research or quality computing degree – BSc or MSc level. A-level Mathematics is essential.
- Strong analytical skills, with an ability to analyse, present and communicate data in a compelling format to drive action
- A detailed understanding of how to apply analytical tools and associated technologies to data to solve business problems (SAS, R, Python etc.) with the aptitude to adapt to new technologies quickly
- How to quickly assimilate information and extract key themes, understand numerical problems and make educated guesses where appropriate
- An understanding of how to coach & upskill colleagues in the analytical techniques that can be applied to data.
- How to get the best out of analytically minded colleagues so they feel engaged & valued
Over and above what you need to know, you will need to show:
- Logical approach to problem solving with strong attention to detail
- Proven track record of winning the hearts and minds of non-technical audiences with complex findings and recommendations that impact their day to day workload.
- Extensive experience of working with large volumes of data, applying tools such as SAS, R, Python and / or SQL
- Experience of visualising data in a compelling format. Advanced skills in MS Excel, Powerpoint or alternative software
- Confident in questioning a proposed strategy or approach to analysis and in offering ideas and solutions
- Proactive attitude that embraces change in a fast moving environment – a desire and ability to develop and progress
- Knowledge of, or an interest in retail
- A team of analysts and junior analysts
- A wholly engaged business with no shortage of appetite for analytics and insights to help them be more successful
- Training as required
- Contribute to future direction of a business area through providing greater insight into its performance and potential areas of improvement
- Prioritisation of work within your team of Analysts to best support the business area
- Approach to answer key business questions and best way to present analysis for maximum impact
- Team recruitment and development