The Internal Communications Team is the engine room for communications across Sainsbury’s business, brands and channels, owning the communication of our strategy, priorities and progress and telling everyone across the business what they need to know.
As Operational Communications Manager – Planning, you will be responsible for ensuring our colleagues have the right information they need to do their jobs and can deliver a busy programme of activity in store. You’ll be responsible for ensuring our urgent and tactical communications are issued in a timely and relevant way, and are simple to understand and action. You’ll work with governance teams across the business to understand what’s happening when and will partner with specific areas of the business to plan communications for complex projects.
You’ll need to be a natural organiser who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment to often tight deadlines, championing our operational communications framework, developing our processes and measuring our success. You’ll have the ability to keep a clear focus under pressure, keep the team on track to proactively work towards meeting deadlines and always have what’s best for our colleagues at the front of mind.
More about the role:
- Responsible for the collation and delivery of all our operational communications channels to all locations: stores, depots and store support centres – with the support of two Communications Executives.
- Work closely with planning and governance teams across the business to understand what’s happening and create an effective operational communications plan, making sure everything is booked in, and that the appropriate team member is aligned to every piece of communication.
- Support the Senior Communications Manager: Operational Comms in the ongoing work to simplify and improve our operational communications, with the aim of enabling our store leaders to land operational changes brilliantly and to spend more time on the shop floor with their colleagues and customers.
- Ensure that all our operational communications have a clear strategic narrative that helps colleagues understand the role they – and a particular activity – play in delivering our strategic objectives.
- Build a deep understanding of how our business works and use that, along with outstanding communications skills, to advise a variety of Store Support Centre colleagues on the best way to deliver their communications.
- Provide weekend and evening and early morning cover on a rota basis for urgent messages, business results and announcements.
More about you:
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills and the ability to write in our company tone of voice.
- Previous experience of planning, designing and delivering operational communications in a large, complex and multi-location organisation.
- Highly organised and proactive – able to juggle and prioritise a busy agenda and respond calmly and quickly to changing situations and a level of ambiguity
- Ability to build strong relationships within a broad range of stakeholders
- Action-orientated with high energy, pace, agility and pragmatism
- Excellent judgement and strong attention to detail
- MS Office
As an Operational Communications Manager you’ll receive a host of great benefits. As well as a competitive salary and discretionary bonus, you will receive a huge range of learning and development opportunities, 25 days’ holiday, a save-as-you-earn scheme, pension and staff discounts at Argos, Sainsbury’s and Habitat.
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how and where they work, combining remote and collaborative working, and giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.