Edinburgh, Milton Keynes OR Widnes
In a nutshell
You will be working in one of the fastest growing and dynamic areas of Sainsbury’s Bank and supporting us in delivering an exceptional cloud infrastructure for all our customers. You’ll help to define and establish a continuous delivery approach on our new AWS cloud platform. You will be working closely with other members of the agile community with the Bank, including the Product Owner, Solution Architects and other DevOps Engineers supporting and developing the bank’s cloud infrastructure.
The team is growing rapidly and looking for talented colleagues to help deliver ambitious and market leading services that live up to Sainsbury’s Group’s industry leading reputation.
What you need to do
We are looking for a Cloud Engineer to join our Cloud Operations working within a team engaged in the provisioning of operational platform support to ensure the scalability, reliability, security and efficiency of the environments that host Sainsbury’s Bank applications.
As a Cloud Engineer you will:
- Support the delivery of best in breed cloud services to Sainsbury’s Bank within a Cloud function.
- Deploy and configure production systems, with a particular focus on ease of configuration, reduction of human error, repeatability and security.
- Collaborate with other DevOps Engineers to design, implement and evolve automated pipelines in the cloud, with both pipelines and infrastructure as code (with their own tests).
- Take a lead role in software design, collaborating with product owners and solutions architects to ensure that solutions help customers and achieve the Bank’s goals
- Understand operational implication/impacts to architectural Cloud decisions
- Monitor new features/functionality and assess their Ops implications
- Ensure Identity and Access Management controls are in place and strictly adhered to
- Execute tests of all technical changes before deployment to live
- Triage support questions & diagnose specific query performance issues
- Monitoring infrastructure by setting appropriate thresholds and reacting to event driven alerts appropriately.
- Discovering and recommending ways to improve System use to foster reliability and efficiency
- Perform other integration and Dev/Ops activities for Cloud Operations as required.
- Publish an overarching service dashboard and reporting
- Documentation of support processes, resolutions to known operational issues, standard processes e.g. new user setup etc
- Participate in a 24/7 on call rota as required
- Coach and mentor other team members
What you need to know
- Be experienced working with Agile delivery teams in a fast paced, DevOps environment
- We use lots of technology from AWS. You will know how to utilise what the cloud has to offer to build highly secure and scalable infrastructure
- You will take a best practice approach to writing infrastructure as code. Testing plays a crucial role in our products and so experience in writing automated tests and pipelines is a must
- Experience in one or more programming languages
- Be diligent and positive about tracking (JIRA), system monitoring, security, auditing and other ways of ensuring the quality of the platform and the processes around it
- Good understanding of source and version control tools such as GitHub
- How to support prioritisation and ticket queues work
- Demonstrable operational KPI management
- Good understanding of Service Operation & ITIL responsibilities
- An up-to-date understanding of Cloud technology base and a general understanding of other technology bases.
- Be kept abreast with developments in the IT industry, in particular around Cloud providers.
- Experience and proven track record as a member of a Cloud team within a Service Operations function.
What you need to show
- Self-starter, strong initiative and commitment to delivery
- Manage a complex mix of work within tight timescales
- Be seen to be the ‘can-do’ member of the team who brings solutions and ideas to the team
- Feed your insights to the Cloud Operations Manager to continuously improve the platform
- Be an active contributing part of an agile development team
- Logical approach to problem solving and an excellent attention to detail
- The ability to engage with and influence stakeholders
- Ability to quickly understand issues and reporting scenarios
- The passion, drive and commitment to succeed in a fast-moving, highly pressured environment
- A proven track record of delivering
- Deep awareness of your impact on others
- Building long-term, collaborative engagement with stakeholders from different parts of the business and levels of seniority
Colleague Conduct Rules
The individual performing this role is expected to adhere to the conduct rules as specified by our regulators (PRA and FCA).
In addition to the all-important competitive salary, pension & bonus offering, we totally get that life outside work is important to us all. So, we want to shout out some of our other great benefits…
- We offer flexible working to help you achieve a good work/life balance.
- Opportunity to buy extra holidays is on the table.
- Discounts on your weekly shop, buying a laptop or sofa? We’ve got it covered through your Sainsbury’s, Argos, and Habitat store discount card.
- Private Healthcare benefits
- Cycle to work scheme and great coffee and cake!
A little about us & our culture
We’re proud of our heritage as the UK’s first supermarket bank. As digital technology drives the banking landscape we want to be at the cutting edge of this technology, offering award winning innovative digital banking products to our customers. Technology is where we see our growth therefore, we need innovators to join us and drive the next phase of our evolution.
We’re a friendly bunch who collectively share a passion to make our customers’ financial lives easier. As part of the wider Sainsbury’s Group, being one of the UK’s most trusted brands, it brings our colleagues a wealth of opportunities to fulfil their potential. Here, you can be part of something bigger and help to create a new approach that puts the customer at the heart of everything we do.
It’s important that our colleagues reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Our inclusive recruitment policy means we’re committed to training and developing all our colleagues, treating everyone fairly and equally when they come and work with us.
As this role involves working within a regulated environment any offer will be subject to satisfactory background checks including criminal record check, credit check, fraud check and employment references.