The Internal Communications Team is the engine room for communications across Sainsbury’s business, brands, and channels, owning the communication of our strategy, priorities and progress and telling everyone across the business what they need to know.
As the Senior Communications Planning Manager, you are responsible for driving all insight, planning, evaluation and measurement across the Corporate Affairs function. This is a high-profile role within the team, and you will be an attendee at leadership team meetings, as well as managing a team of two. You'll develop strong relationships across the Corporate Affairs team, working closely with all teams to build and manage an overarching Corporate Affairs plan for the business, brands and channels, covering internal and external communications and government relations, helping us deliver on our principle of fewer, bigger, better and ensuring all messaging ladders up to our strategy and priorities.
You'll be a core member of the Internal Communications team, project managing high profile internal events alongside the Events team and managing the day-to-day campaigns plan, including driving the planning of our biggest moments, such as Christmas. Using strong analytical skills, you'll work with the two Heads of Internal Communications to evolve and embed a new communications measurement and evaluation framework to ensure all activity is impactful and meets clear objectives, and that we are clear on the relative success of individual campaigns. You'll also develop a detailed understanding of sentiment across our internal and external stakeholders and provide insight to the team and the business on how our messages are landing and opportunities to improve cut-through.
What you need to do
- You'll be across all activity the Corporate Affairs function has planned and which audiences they impact. You will use this to identify clashes and work with the team to adjust the plan accordingly.
- Continue to evolve our regular planning process, ensuring that all teams are feeding in relevant business activity and milestones under each of our five strategic priorities.
- Support the two Heads of Internal Communications in continually improving and simplifying ways of working across the Internal Communications team, including holding effective meetings to ensure everyone is joined up.
- Develop strong relationships with key teams across the business, particularly HR, to ensure we have one joined up colleague plan for the business.
- Work alongside the Corporate Affairs Director and Events team, as relevant, to deliver high-quality internal leadership events. This will involve working closely with the Operating Board and senior leaders.
- Challenge the team to ensure we are communicating in the most effective and engaging way and that comms planning is based on the fewer, bigger, better principle. To do this, you will have a strong understanding of measurement techniques appropriate to our channels and audiences.
What you need to know and show
- Highly organised and proactive – able to juggle and prioritise a busy agenda and respond calmly and quickly to changing situations and a level of ambiguity
- Ability to build strong relationships, become a go-to member of the team very quickly and influence others to deliver
- Ability to face into difficult conversations and to give others licence to challenge your perspective
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with ability to balance stakeholder needs
- Strong attention to detail as well as a creative thinker and problem solver, action-orientated with high energy, pace, agility and pragmatism
- Strong analytical skills and ability to identify trends and action required
- Commercial and financial acumen
In return you’ll get
As the Senior Communications Planning Manager, you’ll receive a host of great benefits. As well as a competitive salary and discretionary bonus, you will receive a huge range of learning and development opportunities, 26 days’ holiday, a save-as-you-earn scheme, pension and staff discounts at Argos, Sainsbury’s, and Habitat.
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how and where they work, combining remote and collaborative working, and giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.