New Year – new job?
To all Financial Services lawyers out there seeking a fresh challenge, why not consider this role at Sainsbury’s Bank?
You can be based anywhere in the UK as this is a hybrid role and we have a number of offices that can be your base. As an organisation we fully embrace flexible working. However, occasional travel for team and other colleague collaboration is to be expected.
In a nutshell
We’re looking to hire someone to join our small but perfectly formed team to support the design, development, and management of the retail product portfolios of both Sainsbury’s Bank and Argos Financial Services (SBAFS). There’s a huge variety of work on offer covering in the main, but not exclusively: deposits, lending (all types) and insurance products. So if you like to do the technical stuff (e.g. CCA, PSRs, drafting ts&cs, etc.), but at the same time want at all times to do the best for customers, we’d love to hear from you.
So, come and join Sainsbury’s Bank. We like to think that, as part of a retail group that takes pride in its heritage of serving the needs of loyal customers, we can offer something a bit different. Get in touch to find out more.
What you need to do
- Provide targeted, commercially focussed regulatory legal advice on a broad and varied range of matters including product development, operational processes, regulatory issues, customer documentation and product supplier agreements
- Provide sound legal advice on retail banking legislation including the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (and associated regulations) and the Payment Services Regulations
- Support the Head of Regulatory and Product Law in identifying regulatory legal risks and issues for the business
- Advise on the drafting and negotiation of “customer” based commercial contracts, in conjunction with the Bank’s Commercial Law team
- Provide advice to the business on relevant areas of law affecting customers, including bereavement, insolvency and power of attorneys/guardianship
- Identify legal risks and changes in regulation, regulatory approach and best practice to the business and proactively work with them to influence strategy and minimise impacts
- Provide general oversight and guidance in marketing, financial promotions, competitions and prize draws
- Build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues in Sainsbury’s Group Legal
What you need to show
Ideally, we would like to see the following:
- Experience of drafting advice, product terms, legal correspondence and other complex documents in plain English with minimal or no supervision
- Experience of analysing legal and commercial issues in detail and being able to explain complex issues in an open and accessible manner
- The ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and business stakeholders across Sainsbury’s Group
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to communicate and influence at all levels
- The ability pro-actively to build and maintain effective working relationships, internally and externally
However, we can be flexible on your level of experience. If you’ve done this type of work before – fantastic. If not – don’t worry, we can train you up in a collegiate, collaborative and supporting environment. What’s most important is your willingness to get your sleeves rolled up and play an active role in a firm that has some ambitious and exciting plans for growth. The Legal team has a strong voice across the organisation and is encouraged to use it!
In addition to the all-important competitive salary, pension & bonus offering, we totally get that life outside work is important to us all. So, we want to shout out some of our other great benefits…
- We offer flexible working to help you achieve a good work/life balance.
- Opportunity to buy extra holidays is on the table.
- Discounts on your weekly shop, buying a laptop or sofa? We’ve got it covered through your Sainsbury’s, Argos and Habitat store discount card.
- Cycle to work scheme
A little about us & our culture
We’re proud of our heritage as the UK’s first supermarket bank. As digital technology drives the banking landscape we want to be at the cutting edge of this technology, offering award winning innovative digital banking products to our customers. Technology is where we see our growth. Therefore, we need innovators to join us and drive the next phase of our evolution.
We’re a friendly bunch who collectively share a passion to make our customers’ financial lives easier. As part of the wider Sainsbury’s Group, being one of the UK’s most trusted brands, it brings our colleagues a wealth of opportunities to fulfil their potential. Here, you can be part of something bigger and help to create a new approach that puts the customer at the heart of everything we do.
It’s important that our colleagues reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Our inclusive recruitment policy means we’re committed to training and developing all our colleagues, treating everyone fairly and equally when they come and work with us.
As this role involves working within a regulated environment any offer will be subject to satisfactory background checks including criminal record check, credit check, fraud check and employment references.